- 1 Farmer John Smoked Sausage Loop, Sliced1
- 8 Slices Farmer John Thick Cut Bacon 8 Slices
- 3 Tbsp. All-Purpose Flour3 Tbsp.
- 1 Bottle Guinness Beer 1 Bottle
- 2 Pounds Potatoes, Peeled And Cut Into Bite-Sized Pieces2 Pounds
- 2 Large Onions, Cut Into Slices2
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced4 Cloves
- 4 Tbsp. Fresh Minced Parsley4 Tbsp.
- 3 Bay Leaves3
- 1 Tsp. Dried Thyme1 Tsp.
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Beef, Ham, Or Chicken Broth2 Cups
Preheat the oven to 300°F.
Heat a large, oven-proof Dutch oven over high heat. Add in the bacon and cook until crisp, about five minutes. Remove the bacon to drain on paper towels. Leave the grease in the Dutch oven.
Add the sausages in, a few at a time (don't crowd the pan), and cook on each side until just golden brown—no need to cook all the way through. Remove to a plate and continue with additional sausages. Remove to plate. When cool enough to handle. Slice into 1" pieces.
Reduce the heat to low, and then whisk in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Then remove from heat completely.
Whisk in the bottle of Guinness (see notes if you'd like to not use beer).
Place half of the potatoes in the gravy, followed by half of the onions, half of the garlic, half of the bacon, half of the sausages, half of the parsley, the bay leaves, the thyme, and black pepper. Repeat layers with the remaining ingredients.
Pour the broth over the whole thing. Place lid on, and bake in preheated oven for at least 2 hours.