For The Cornbread
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Shortening For Skillet1 Tbsp.
- 2 Cups Yellow Cornmeal2 Cups
- 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour1 1/2 Cups
- 2 Tsp. Salt2 Tsp.
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder2 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda1 Tsp.
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar, Optional2 Tbsp.
- 3 Eggs (Beaten)3
- 2 Cups Milk2 Cups
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter1/4 Cup
- Melted Butter For Brushing The Top
For The Sandwich
- 1 Tbsp. Mayo1 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. Chow Chow1 Tbsp.
- 1 4″ Square Of Cornbread, Sliced In Half1
- 1/3 Cup White Cheddar, Shredded1/3 Cup
- 1/4 Pound Farmer John® Honey Baked Ham, Shaved Thin1/4 Pound
- 1 Tbsp. Pickled Jalapeños1 Tbsp.
Make the Cornbread: Preheat oven to 425°F. Put the oil or shortening in a 10-inch iron skillet and place in the oven to preheat while making the batter.
Make the Cornbread: In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and if using sugar.
Make the Cornbread: In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and butter.
Make the Cornbread: Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are moistened. The batter will be like a thick pancake batter.
Make the Cornbread: Carefully, with heavy oven mitts, remove skillet from oven and turn to coat the bottom and sides with oil.
Make the Cornbread: Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and return it to the oven.
Make the Cornbread: Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until browned. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Assemble the Sandwich: Set the oven to broil. Meanwhile, mix together mayo and chow chow in a small bowl; set aside.
Assemble the Sandwich: Place the cornbread slices, interior side facing up, onto a nonstick baking sheet. Slather the chow chow mayo equally between the two slices and top both slices with the white cheddar.
Assemble the Sandwich: Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil until the cheese is bubbling and melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
Assemble the Sandwich: Add the ham to the bottom piece of cornbread and top with pickled jalapeños.
Assemble the Sandwich: Top with the remaining slice of cornbread and slice in half. Serve immediately.