- 1 Cup Farmer John Thick Cut Ham Steak, Diced1 Cup
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter1/4 Cup
- 2 Cups Chopped Onion2 Cups
- 1 Cup Diced Carrot1 Cup
- 1 Cup Diced Celery1 Cup
- 1/2 Tsp. Kosher Salt1/2 Tsp.
- 1/2 Tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper1/2 Tsp.
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced2 Cloves
- 1 Pound Dried Split Peas, Rinsed And Sorted1 Pound
- 1 Meaty Ham Bone1
- 1 Large Bay Leaf1
- 2 Tsp. Fresh Thyme Leaves, Chopped And Divided2 Tsp.
- 6 Cups Chicken Stock6 Cups
- 2 Cups Water2 Cups
- Croutons For Serving
In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter until foaming subsides. Add onion, carrot, celery, 1/4 tsp. Salt and 1/2 tsp. Pepper. Cook until vegetables are softened and just beginning to brown, 5-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, until aromatic. Stir in split peas.
Add ham bone, bay leaf, and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme. Stir in chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 60-90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until split peas are cooked down and soup is thickened to desired consistency. (Stir more frequently as the soup begins to thicken and add a little additional stock or water if it gets too thick for your tastes.)
Add diced ham during the last 15 minutes of cooking. When ready to serve, remove and discard ham bone and bay leaf, and stir in remaining 1 tsp. fresh thyme. Season to taste with salt, if needed. Serve hot with croutons and cracked black pepper.